One of the leading causes of cancer deaths, lung cancer has been known to claim more lives every year than prostate, colon, breast, and ovarian cancer together. It begins in the lungs and, depending on the stage, can spread to other parts of the body as well. Lung cancer has multiple causes. However, people who tend to smoke are at a higher risk of lung cancer. The risk increases with the length of time and the number of cigarettes smoked. Other causes include passive smoking, exposure to radon gas, exposure to asbestos and other carcinogens, and a family history of lung cancer.
Lung cancer causes coughing that doesn’t go away. Additionally, a person suffering from lung cancer can cough up blood, and experience shortness of breath, chest pain, hoarseness, unexplained weight loss, bone pain, and headache. Treatment usually includes surgery and medications. The below-mentioned medications are FDA-approved and need to be taken only when prescribed by a medical expert.
- Xalkori: Also known as crizotinib, Xalkori has been approved by the FDA for patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Earlier prescribed to those with advanced non-small cell lung cancer, this medication is now recommended to those with ROS1-positive non-small cell lung cancer that had started spreading. It works as an inhibitor in targeted therapy. It blocks the changes in lung cancer cells and that interferes with the growth and spread of the cancerous cells.
- Tagrisso: Also called osimertinib, Tagrisso is used for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. The medication is a type of tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI); it inhibits an enzyme known as tyrosine kinases, which is involved in cell signaling. Tyrosine kinases are involved in the stimulation of cell division and are active in the uncontrolled growth of cancerous cells. Tagrisso controls these enzymes and blocks the growth and spread of cancerous cells.
- Alecensa: This medication is used for the treatment of ALK-positive metastatic (advanced) non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). ALK is the anaplastic lymphoma kinase gene. In lung cancer patients, the chromosomal rearrangement of the gene causes the formation of fusion proteins in cancerous tissues. ALK then causes the uncontrolled growth of cancer cells. Also known as alectinib, Alcensa targets and interrupts ALK from stimulating the growth of cancerous cells. Additionally, it blocks the growth of the tumor and causes cancer cells to die, thus reducing the size of the tumor.
- Gilotrif: Also known as Afatinib and Giotrif, Gilotrif is an anti-cancer medication useful for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. It is used for targeted treatment with better outcomes and lesser side effects. This medication works as an irreversible inhibitor of the tyrosine kinases EGRF and HER2. It slows down the progression of lung cancer.
- Iressa: Also known as gefitinib, Iressa is prescribed for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). It is generally recommended when NSCLC has spread to other parts of the body. Iressa is prescribed to those who have specific mutations in the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) gene and have not undergone any previous cancer treatments. This medication works as a kinase inhibitor and blocks the proteins that aid in the growth of cancer cells. It slows down the growth of cancerous cells and reduces the size of the tumor.
- Alimta: This lung cancer medication is specifically prescribed for non-small cell lung cancer. It is a folate analog metabolic inhibitor. Alimta is generally used in combination with platinum chemotherapy and other medications.
How to select the best laptop for youRead more
If you look at the past 10 years, laptops have been growing in popularity in comparison with desktop computers. Several types of laptops are available in the market including nextbook laptops and it is your responsibility to choose the most suitable ones based on your needs. It has become really easy to identify a laptop that meets your needs.
The fundamental question must always be what are you searching for in a laptop? What type of device is good for you to purchase? Are you interested in playing games on the laptop? Do you want a device that offers a long battery life? Are you going to carry the laptop wherever you go? These are some of the questions that you need to find answers prior to buying a laptop.
Best devices for students
Generally speaking, students will be searching for laptops that are cheap and they also look for the one that offers good battery life. That is why most students prefer a nextbook laptops or mini-laptop. This is a very good option and the battery life of these devices is pretty high compared to other devices. These types of devices are highly portable as well. Several students search for a slightly oversized nextbook laptops and these products come with a larger CPU with increased power as well.
Best devices for travelers
Businesses travelers always look for a laptop that has adequate computing power and they also want a highly portable one. Another important aspect is that the laptop must be built into a sturdy case for protecting all your work documents. Compact products such as Panasonic laptops are a good option. 12 to 15 inch laptops are definitely a good option and you should not focus on the price too much. The focus should be on the quality of the device.
Best devices for the home users
Home users must be careful picking the right option that meets their own requirements. It can be something pretty similar to a desktop and 15 inch laptops are really popular for this category. There are plenty of options available in the market and you have to be really careful while making a choice.
Best devices for gamers
The quality and functionality of gaming laptops have increased considerably. Gamers are always searching for laptops that come with best processing power and they also give utmost preference to good graphics/video card. 15 inches to 17 inches are the most preferred choices and some people opt for bigger versions. Top brands offer high end gaming laptops and you can customize them according to your needs using the latest parts.
Your purpose must be given the top priority and the most suitable one must be selected after carefully considering all the options available in the market.
Five of the best senior cell phone plansRead more
All cell phone plans these days come with high-speed internet and unlimited minutes. Both of these may not really be useful to seniors.
They don’t let you browse use the internet or talk beyond a paltry limit. The best alternative, then, is to find senior citizen cell phone plans that are affordable, and suitable for your requirements. If you belong to the low-income category, you could get free cellphones for seniors under the Lifeline Assistance Program.
You have a variety of smartphone plans for seniors to choose from. Here are a few.
T-Mobile Pay As You Go: T-Mobile is one of the best cell phone service providers in the market. This carrier offers deals that suit everyone. Plus, they’ve also released mobile phone plans that are tailor-made for seniors. On the T-Mobile Pay As You Go plan, you have to pay a monthly fee of $3. You get either 30 minutes or 30 text messages in this plan. To avail this, you’ll need to have a compatible phone. Whether you bring your own phone or not, you will have to pay $20 for a sim starter kit. Also, there is no annual contract, no deposit, and no credit check.
AT&T GoPhone Daily: One of the most trusted brand across the US, AT&T has a very convenient plan for seniors who hardly need to make any calls. The name of the plan is AT&T GoPhone Daily. The best part is that you have to pay $2 per day of usage of incoming and outgoing calls. It means that you don’t have to pay anything on the days that you don’t use your phone. This is one of the best senior phone plans. If you are using the phone for the day you get unlimited minutes and texts. You don’t even have to pay an activation fee. If you already have a compatible phone you can get a sim for $4.99. However, if you are buying the sim online you’ll have to be careful as a $25 refill card may be added. Make sure to uncheck this item while making a purchase.
Republic Wireless 1GB: For seniors who use the internet often. Available at just $20 this plan gives you not only 1GB of data but also gives you unlimited minutes and texts and is one of the best phone plans for seniors. Republic Wireless is one of the newest service providers but has made a stand with offers such as this one. This plan has no contract but it is important to know that this is not a prepaid service.
T-Mobile monthly basic: Yet another plan from T-Mobile that is ideal for seniors. This plan is priced at $30 per month. You get 5GB of high-speed internet and you get 100 minutes and unlimited texts. If you can make do with just 100 minutes of talk time this is one of the most reasonable cell phone plans for seniors out there.
Greatcall WeTalk 200: Priced at $14.99, this plan gives you 200 minutes of talk time. It is important to note that you don’t get any texts or data.