One of the leading causes of cancer deaths, lung cancer has been known to claim more lives every year than prostate, colon, breast, and ovarian cancer together. It begins in the lungs and, depending on the stage, can spread to other parts of the body as well. Lung cancer has multiple causes. However, people who tend to smoke are at a higher risk of lung cancer. The risk increases with the length of time and the number of cigarettes smoked. Other causes include passive smoking, exposure to radon gas, exposure to asbestos and other carcinogens, and a family history of lung cancer.
Lung cancer causes coughing that doesn’t go away. Additionally, a person suffering from lung cancer can cough up blood, and experience shortness of breath, chest pain, hoarseness, unexplained weight loss, bone pain, and headache. Treatment usually includes surgery and medications. The below-mentioned medications are FDA-approved and need to be taken only when prescribed by a medical expert.
- Xalkori: Also known as crizotinib, Xalkori has been approved by the FDA for patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Earlier prescribed to those with advanced non-small cell lung cancer, this medication is now recommended to those with ROS1-positive non-small cell lung cancer that had started spreading. It works as an inhibitor in targeted therapy. It blocks the changes in lung cancer cells and that interferes with the growth and spread of the cancerous cells.
- Tagrisso: Also called osimertinib, Tagrisso is used for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. The medication is a type of tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI); it inhibits an enzyme known as tyrosine kinases, which is involved in cell signaling. Tyrosine kinases are involved in the stimulation of cell division and are active in the uncontrolled growth of cancerous cells. Tagrisso controls these enzymes and blocks the growth and spread of cancerous cells.
- Alecensa: This medication is used for the treatment of ALK-positive metastatic (advanced) non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). ALK is the anaplastic lymphoma kinase gene. In lung cancer patients, the chromosomal rearrangement of the gene causes the formation of fusion proteins in cancerous tissues. ALK then causes the uncontrolled growth of cancer cells. Also known as alectinib, Alcensa targets and interrupts ALK from stimulating the growth of cancerous cells. Additionally, it blocks the growth of the tumor and causes cancer cells to die, thus reducing the size of the tumor.
- Gilotrif: Also known as Afatinib and Giotrif, Gilotrif is an anti-cancer medication useful for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. It is used for targeted treatment with better outcomes and lesser side effects. This medication works as an irreversible inhibitor of the tyrosine kinases EGRF and HER2. It slows down the progression of lung cancer.
- Iressa: Also known as gefitinib, Iressa is prescribed for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). It is generally recommended when NSCLC has spread to other parts of the body. Iressa is prescribed to those who have specific mutations in the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) gene and have not undergone any previous cancer treatments. This medication works as a kinase inhibitor and blocks the proteins that aid in the growth of cancer cells. It slows down the growth of cancerous cells and reduces the size of the tumor.
- Alimta: This lung cancer medication is specifically prescribed for non-small cell lung cancer. It is a folate analog metabolic inhibitor. Alimta is generally used in combination with platinum chemotherapy and other medications.
3 easy-to-make flavored iced coffee recipes for a cool summerRead more
As soon as summer and spring descend, it’s time to whip up the seasonal beverages that will keep you cool. Iced tea and flavored iced coffee are two of the most popular beverages during this time; they give you your caffeine fix as well as a respite from the heat outside.
It’s true that your local barista or the popular coffee chain in the neighborhood will have some of the fanciest-looking flavored iced coffees in their menu, but when you break down the basics, most of these can be easily made at home. Whether you want a light vanilla-flavored iced coffee or something more dessert-like with a nice topping, you can try your hand at these delectable flavored iced coffee recipes at home:
- Vanilla-flavored iced coffee: This is one of the simplest flavored iced coffee recipes. For this, you will need a cup of ground coffee, 4 vanilla beans that are split lengthwise, a cup of milk, ¼ cup of sugar, and a few ice cubes. Mix the ground coffee with 4 cups of water. Cover it and let the coffee stand overnight or for 12 hours at room temperature. Mix the vanilla beans, sugar, and milk in a saucepan and let the mixture simmer over medium heat. Let it stand and steep for 20 minutes. Strain the coffee into a bowl through a fine-mesh sieve. Through a coffee filter, strain the coffee again into a large pitcher. Fill four tumblers with ice cubes, pour coffee till one inch of the rim, and then pour the vanilla-flavored milk.
- Chocolate-flavored iced coffee: This chocolate-flavored iced coffee has a sweetish taste to it. This recipe calls for a cup each of fat-free milk and boiling water, 4 teaspoons each of instant coffee granules, chocolate syrup, and sugar, 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a few ice cubes. Dissolve the coffee in the water in a large bowl. Add and stir well the rest of the ingredients. Serve this flavored coffee over the ice cubes. You can top it off with a couple of scoops of vanilla ice-cream.
- Thai iced coffee: Although the name has an exotic touch to it, this flavored iced coffee is quite easy to make. The ingredients required are a cup each of ground coffee and sweetened condensed milk and ¾ cup of milk. Make four cups of strong coffee by brewing the coffee in four cups of water in a coffee machine. Chill the brewed coffee in the refrigerator. Mix both the varieties of milk in a small bowl until a smooth consistency and chill the milk. While serving, pour the coffee in four tumblers filled with ice cubes and top them off with the chilled milk.
Five benefits of using rowing machinesRead more
More and more people are waking up to the importance of fitness in their daily routine because the obesity rate in the country is increasing alarmingly. Fitness no longer takes a backseat when it comes to healthy living, and the proof is in the number of people signing up for gym sessions. However, gyms have multiple types of fitness equipment that work on specific parts of the body. The rowing machine is one such piece of fitness equipment that burns more calories as compared to running or cycling.
Here are a few known benefits of using the rowing machine.
Cycling and running will boost your cardiovascular activity, but rowing is specifically designed to keep your heart and lungs healthy. The rowing action helps pump more blood and fresh oxygen throughout your body while simultaneously burning calories faster than what you can achieve with running or cycling.
Complete body workout
Rowing is an exercise that engages most of the muscle groups in the body. It is one of the few fitness equipment that works on the upper back, shoulder, chest, arm muscles, lower quadriceps, glutes, calves, and hamstrings at the same time.
If you are looking to prepare yourself for sporting and athletic events, a rowing machine will help you increase your stamina and endurance. Working out on this fitness equipment helps burn calories, builds muscle mass, and enhances your strength training.
A broad range of movements
Many fitness equipment limit your body’s motions, thereby failing to engage vital muscle groups. A rowing machine, however, has a broad range of movements that tone your muscles. Vigorous rowing not only strengthens the muscles but if done correctly, also enhance your form.
Better resistance training
Resistance training helps you increase your muscle mass, metabolic rate, improve insulin sensitivity, prevent weight gain, and increase bone mineral content. A rowing machine mimics the continuous pull-and-push motion of rowing to increase resistance in the workout. Thus, this fitness equipment aids in the overall development of your upper and lower body muscles.