Heartburn is the most common symptom of acid reflux, a condition where some of the ingested food along with stomach acid is pushed back into the esophagus, causing a burning pain in the lower region of the chest. Surprisingly about 15 million Americans experience heartburn every day, according to the American College of Gastroenterology estimates. As it’s a common occurrence, heartburn treatment is the need of the hour for many Americans.
Causes of heartburn
Occasional heartburn is common. Neither does it cause any significant health concern, nor does it require extensive heartburn treatment. But persistent heartburn caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD or GORD) can be a sign of an underlying health issue. The main causes of heartburn are:
- Food habits including overeating
- Certain food items like acidic food/juices, caffeine, and chocolate
- Alcohol consumption
- Smoking, as it affects the functioning of lower esophageal sphincter (LES) causing it to relax and allow acid to reflux
- Obesity, as it causes pressure in the abdomen due to the accumulation of fat molecules, thereby causing acid reflux and in turn, heartburn
- Pregnancy, as it leads to abdomen pressure
- Certain medications like Aspirin
Symptoms of heartburn
Understanding the causes is the first step for a proper heartburn treatment; the next step is recognizing the symptoms to help you build a proper path to recovery. Some of the common symptoms of heartburn include the following:
- Heat in the chest and throat area due to acid reflux
- Burning sensations in the chest, mostly in the middle region
- Foul and unpleasant taste in the mouth
- Uncomfortable pain rising from the chest to the neck region
- A weird burning sensation in the ear
Heartburn treatment can be fairly simple and can be cured with natural remedies. But the best way would be to maintain a healthy diet and keep away from certain things like alcohol and smoking. Medications such as antacids can also work as effective treatments. However, it would be advisable to talk to your doctor before starting any drugs.
Tips for selecting the right pool contractorRead more
You must have heard about how a pool construction can go wrong. One of the reasons behind it is an unsatisfactory pool contractor. You can’t even imagine how some pool contractors can ruin your pool. You must hire the right pool contractor for the pool construction, and you will be able to do it with a little help and a little knowledge. Here are some guidelines that can help you hire the right pool contractor.
Reference and recommendations
Have you noticed any new pool being constructed in your neighborhood or at someone’s home? And did you like it? If you have liked their new pool, get the contact details of the company. This will ensure that you have got the recommendation from a trustworthy source. Ask your friend about the quality of the service that the company has provided and only if you are satisfied with the response should you contact them.
A reference letter is also important as it boosts the credibility of the pool contractor that you are hiring. Ask for referral letters before hiring and read them to make sure that the company you are considering will be right for you.
A background check is essential
A quick background check will clear any doubt that you may have had in your mind. Visit the Better Business Bureau to check whether there are any complaints lodged against the contractor. By paying a small fee, you can also get a report from Contractor Check that will include an overall rating and details about the contractor’s business operations.
If the pool contractor has not been able to make a good first impression, then that is reason enough for being cautious. You must look out for things like, unrealistically low estimates, pressurizing you to make quick decisions, no clarity about the constructions, asking for cash, evasive about their operations and anything that sets off a warning in your mind.
Always visit the store or the office of the pool contractor before making any final decision. Consider the price, the service, and then after a thorough scrutiny, fix on the company that will be right for you.
Diagnosing and Treating Swollen Glands in NeckRead more
Swollen glands in the neck are a result of exposure to viruses of bacteria. When swollen glands in the neck are caused by an infection, the condition is termed lymphadenitis. Cancer may cause swollen glands in the neck as well, but its possibility is rare. The lymph glands are extremely important to the functioning of the body. They help your body fight off infections and act as a filter, trapping bacteria, viruses and other causes of illness before they can spread to other parts of the body and further infect it. Apart from the neck, swollen lymph nodes can be found under your chin, in your groin, and in your armpits. Here is how you can diagnose and treat swollen glands in the neck.
To successfully diagnose swollen glands in the neck, your doctor will ask you when the swollen glands first developed. Your doctor will also ask you if you are suffering from any other symptoms. Your doctor will then conduct a few procedures and tests to diagnose the condition. This includes:
- Physical examination – To check the tenderness, size, texture, and warmth of the swollen glands near the surface of your skin
- Blood tests – To determine the cause of the underlying condition
- Imaging studies – To scan the affected area and determine the source of the infection
- Lymph node biopsy – To remove a portion of a lymph node for further testing and examination
The treatment for swollen glands in the neck is solely dependent on the cause of the disease. Bacterial causes and infections have a different treatment procedure than that of a cancerous or viral source. Here is how the condition can be treated:
- If the cause of the condition is an infection, a course of antibiotics should do the trick
- If the source of the condition is an immune disorder, the treatment is directed at the underlying condition
- If swollen glands in the neck are a result of cancer, surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation are the best available options
The treatment for swollen glands in the neck depends solely on its cause. At times you may need treatment while in some cases, time heals the swollen glands in the neck on its own. Warm compresses can do a world of good as well. Whatever the case, if you are suffering from swollen glands in the neck, consult a doctor immediately as your body’s ability to fight off infections is under threat.